Friday, May 22, 2009

Windows 7 RC1 experience

I have an HP nc8430 laptop with 2GB of ram. When I inherited it, it had Vista on it so I promptly replaced it with 2008 server and setup as a desktop.

This worked reasonably well for a while but lately I've been getting serious typing lag in outlook 2007 (SP2) that made using e-mail almost impossible. Start-up times were diabolical. 10 mins at least before I could get to write an e-mail or open Firefox.

So I decided to give Windows 7 RC1 a whirl. I did a clean install to a new partition. The 1st problem, rather surprisingly, was the it did not detect my rather bog standard ATI 700 graphics card! There were a number of other drivers missing too. I managed to get the important ones installed and off I went. However I have now had for 2 days solid the most annoying mouse lag and jittering.

I have no choice but to flatten all installs and go back to XP since I cannot get a stable and usable environment from any of the newer MS offerings. Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and Mint Linux have had no such problems installed on the same laptop.

Windows 7, although impressive in places, has failed at the basics and that is unacceptable from my point of view. A wholly disappointing experience.

No comments: