Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ubuntu 8.10

Well, I've been lazy and not written on here in a while so I've decided to write something about my Ubuntu 8.10 experience so far.

What can I say? I LOVE IT!! It's that simple.

The upgrade process from 8.04 was a breeze on both my laptop and desktop. I upgraded to the beta release about 3 weeks before the final release.

The new network manager is fantastic and now supports my wireless USB card natively out of the box at it's rated 54 Mbps.

I had a little trouble with the Micro$oft compatable VPN (pptp) to connect to work but I've got that sorted now too. Not only that but I've got the routes setup perfectly to only direct work traffic down the VPN connection and leave all the internet stuff to break out over my standard internet connection at home. Both of these solutions were easy to find the on the Ubuntu Support forums, they truly are a great resource and I think it's part of the sucess of Ubuntu that it has such great support.

Open Office 3.0 is great too and now with Firefox 3.o in full swing using Linux all the time is an absolute pleasure.

I've not been looking at some solid state drives for my PC, my plan is to ditch Micro$oft completely and boot Ubuntu 8.10 from the Solid state drive. I shudder to think how fast it will load when my current install that is running within NTFS on a Wubi install loads in just 45 seconds.

Add to the fact that my anti virus has now trashed my Windows XP installation 3 times in the last few months, ironically it took my Ubuntu install to fix it each time.

I currently have only one reason to use Winblows XP - my MS webcam and that will change X-mas time when I get something Ubuntu compatible and then I can run Skype properly with Linux! Yay!

No comments: