Friday, April 11, 2008

Beautiful and cheap new PC for under £300

My old PC blew up a few days before X-mas so it was time to look at getting a new one.

I did a bit of shopping around and decided on the following rig.

I needed a new CPU, Motherboard, Ram and power supply but decided a nice new case would suit a new machine. So I got to reuse my hard drives, screen, keyboard and mouse + the other peripherals.

So this is what I got, with a total cost of £296.51 incl VAT and Delivery.

Asus M2A-VM HDMI, AMD 690G+SB600, HDMI,Socket-AM2,m-ATX,DDR2,Firewire,PCI-Ex16

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology

Corsair Power supply 550W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 4xSATA, SLI, WxHxL

Gigabyte iSolo Black, ATX/mATX, Liquid cooling ready, (Without PSU)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.5GHz Socket AM2, 1MB, BOXED w/fan


It took a day to put it all together. The motherboard comes with an Integrated ATI Radeon X1250 chip. Which is fine for your average daily use and light 3D requirements.

However after a little while I bought and installed this.
Gigabyte GeForce 8600 GT Silent Zalman 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Again I'm rather stunned at it's performance, especially since it only cost £77.54 incl VAT and delivery.

So for under a £400 upgrade I now have a stunningly fast home PC that I'm very happy with.

I suppose my next stop will be to replace the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with a 6000+ chip :p

No comments: