Saturday, October 27, 2007

Electricity Usage Project

With all the green talk about carbon neutrality I decided a few months ago to buy a handheld meter and find out what electricity different appliances use.

I settled on a PM230 from brennenstuhl and it looks like this.



So I need to decide on a metering method and test everything I have.

The usual suspects are...
TVs
Microwave
Kettle
Phone chargers
Wii Console
set top boxes
DVD player(s)
toaster
Washing machine
Dryer
electric toothbrush
lamps
Sky+ set top box
heater
fans
PC (huge one I suspect) & components like speakers & screen
wireless router
broadband router
Printer
external HDD
telephone
hi-fi
dust buster
canon camera charger
video camera charger
hairdryer
dehumidifier


The idea it to test each for an hour or a day and then extrapolate out to daily or weekly average usage. Some of these appliances have standby modes and I'm very interested in seeing how they compare and what electricity they use when not in use.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an excellent idea - keep us posted with the results soon.